For best results, it's important to choose your keywords wisely. Here are some tips on how to choose keywords:
- Use keywords likely to appear on the page with the code you want. 'Popup window' gets better results than 'popup windows' (Note the extra 's').
- Try different variations of keyword phrases. For example, 'popup window' produces a different set of results to 'pop up window.'
Automatic 'and' Queries
The order in which the keywords are entered will affect the search results. For example, the following two search queries produce a different set of results:
- popup window
- window popup
Search for complete phrases by enclosing them in quotation marks to refine your search results. Words enclosed in double quotes ('popup windows') will appear together in all results exactly as you have entered them.
Sometimes what you're searching for has more than one meaning; 'cascading' can refer to 'cascading menu' or 'cascading style sheets.' You can exclude a word from your search by putting a minus sign '-' immediately in front of the term you want to avoid. For example, to find web pages about 'cascading style sheets' and not 'cascading menues' enter: 'cascading style sheets -menues.'
Full Text Search
Word Variations (Stemming)
Matching Approximate Plural Forms
The plural-form rules are very conservative and so false positives will be rare.
Overview of Rules
- If the word ends in a vowel and then 'o,' an optional trailing 's' is supported. For example, stereo, stereos.
- Otherwise if the word ends in 'o,' forms with a trailing 'es' or 's' will match. For example, echo, echos, echoes.
- Otherwise if the word ends in 'is,' forms with the same base but ending in 'es' will match. For example, thesis, theses.
- Otherwise if the word ends in a consonant followed by a 'y,' forms with the same base but ending in 'ies' will match. sky, skies
- Otherwise if the word ends with 'y,' forms with a trailing 's' will match. For example, tray, trays.
- Otherwise if the word ends in a hissing sound - 's,' 'z,' 'x,' 'sh,' 'ch' - then a trailing 'es' will match. For example, church, churches.
- Finally, for all other keywords, a trailing 's' is allowed: foo, foos; bar, bars.